Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quick bud vase

It was my friend's birthday about two weeks ago and I needed a gift for her. Something special, handmade, and simple. I dug around in my antique library catalogue (a.k.a. my tiny drawers of goodness and inspiration) and found three things: a small glass jar, a large antique wooden button, and some ribbon. Perfect. This project took me about 20 minutes to complete, and the results were too cute!



What you need:
-Small glass jar (the one I used was a recycled jam jar)
-Thin ribbon or embroidery thread (small enough to fit through the button holes)
-Decorative ribbon
-Large button
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks

What to do:
-Clean and dry the jar thoroughly
-Thread the ribbon through the button, leaving enough on both sides to tie around the jar
-Tie the ribbon around the mouth of the jar and place a dot of hot glue to hold in place
-Place a few additional dots of hot glue around the mouth of the jar, under the ribbon, to keep the ribbon in place
-Cut your decorative ribbon to the size of the mouth of the jar
-Hot glue the decorative ribbon around the rim to hide the thin ribbon
-If you so desire, you could hot glue the button to the jar, but I didn't find this necessary
-Fill the jar half-way with water and put some tiny, fresh cut wildflowers inside

I love how simple crafting can be....


:-)

HK

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Very cute! You always come up with such cute ideas.

Ashton said...

Very cute :) You are so creative!

MP said...

Love it! What a clever idea!