Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sailing, studying, and showering

Hello, friends and family!

I hope you enjoyed the pancake and craft post from moments ago..... I enjoy your responses to our creations!

A little update on what's been going on around here....

Last weekend, Scott and I were invited to go "camping" on our friend's sailboat. There was no campfire or smores, not even a tent--but there was lots of good grilling, eating, swimming, and bug spray.

B and Scott grilled some black bean burgers and corn, while the girls all munched on salsa and chips and sipped beer.


The weather was perfect--about 80 degrees and breezy on the boat. We had some duck friends waddle into our territory to eat our fallen food scraps....

This duck emitted that white cloud from his tail end RIGHT as I was taking the picture.... I don't really want to know what it is...

After dinner, we went to the yacht club's swimming pool and had a WILD pool noodle war. Men v. Women. Who can steal the most pool noodles from the other team. There was wrestling, pulling, yanking, and bopping. I think at one point a lounge chair ended up in the pool..... The girls won, of course. We did have them out numbered (4 to 2), but we won fair and square! I don't think I have played like that in a pool since I was 10. Needless to say, we destroyed the pool noodles, which by the way did NOT belong to us. The evidence was hidden and we walked away silently...


Sweet friend.

After our night of fun, Scott and I drove to the downtown Houston library for the day.

Note to self: a cute outfit can become not cute with a 20 lb. backpack...

I had some reading that I needed to do and Scott was working on a project.



Scott makes funny faces while he reads :-)

I have only visited the main library once, but after spending an entire day there, I think I would consider this one of my favorite study spots. There was interesting mix of people there--LOTS of homeless people, students, and elderly women. I liked the diversity; it was more interesting than being in a coffee shop full of middle class white people (nothing wrong with that, just saying it was a good change of scenery :-) ) plus I had more room to SPREAD out! I need my space when I study or I feel overwhelmed.... Of course, I didn't leave without checking out some good reads (i.e. those that do not pertain to research and speech pathology). I picked up a non-fiction by Michael Pollan called "The Omnivore's Dilemma", one that I have been wanting to read for quite some time, and a light-hearted fiction called "Deep Dish".

Today, I went to my dear friend, Melissa's, bridal shower! She received some good gifts and the women I met there were so sweet!

Sweet Mo and her momma

Yummy petit foirs...

A few gifts...

Scott is currently in Kansas attending the "Prairie Festival" with some of his friends from JBU! He met his favorite author, Wendell Berry, today!! Scott has wanted to meet this man for a very long time and when I got the text that said, "I saw him!" I was just thrilled! I hope he snagged a picture.... This is my first time home alone since we moved to Houston! Crazy, I know. I think I'm going crazy! It's too quiet! But, fortunately, I had Melissa's shower and tonight I have a bachelorette party to attend! We have to wear wigs to this party and mine so happens to be a Lady Gaga-esque HOT PINK wig cut like a short bob. Oh my, oh my..... Pictures to come!

Well, that is all! Happy Weekend!

HK

1 comment:

Ashton said...

I can't wait to see a picture of your Lady Gaga wig! Haha! You're really cutting loose these days! :)

Enjoyed the pics-- I have always wanted to go sailing!

And I'm glad Scott got to see Wendell; I felt so bad that he missed his call that one time! (If that is indeed a true story!)