Friday, November 12, 2010

BLT Salad

My favorite sandwich is without a doubt the BLT (bacon, lettuce tomato, of course). Something about the crunch of the toast, bacon, and lettuce with the tang of tomato and mayonnaise creates a salty, juicy medley that I just LOVE!

But, something that I am not a huge fan of is a salad. I am giving them an honest try, though, experimenting with various combinations and homemade dressings and this salad is one that I could eat again and again. Probably because the only thing it lacks from my favorite sandwich is the toasted bread... but then again, I could just add croutons next time ;-)

Unfortunately, I neglected to take photos of this salad because I made it for our church small group and it was devoured before photos could be taken!

This serves 4 as a main dish, or 6 to 8 as a side dish

What you will need:
-Large bag of greens, rinsed and dried (I used arugula and mesclun greens, but you could use romaine or whatever green you like!)
-6 to 8 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp
-1 c. of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved

For the dressing:
-1/3 c. of mayonnaise
-Juice of 1/2 lemon
-2 cloves of garlic
-1/3 c. of olive oil
-Salt and pepper to taste

What to do:
-Combine salad ingredients in a bowl
-Combine dressing ingredients in a large jar and shake until well combined
-Pour dressing over salad and mix until greens are well coated

NOTE: The dressing is really to taste. You want more lemon, add more lemon! Not quite so oily, decrease the oil! Whatever you like :-)

1 comment:

sdf said...

That salad sounds tasty! We'll have to try it.
I know you said you don't really like salad, but do you have a good recipe for Greek Salad? That's one of our favorites! We also love Snow on the Mountain salad (main ingredients: lettuce, bacon, cauliflower). Just some more ideas to try! :)