Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Joys of Traveling

Day 19 - El Transito, Nicaragua - Saturday - 06.25.11 - 8:32 a.m.
We spent most of the yesterday working with the women making purses.

The quality and style of their work has imporved immensely!

We snagged some photos of the women to put on the Facebook page, ETCA [threads], and on the ETCA website, www.eltransitoarts.com:

Dina. She is also our cook. I love this woman.

Yasiri (Yasi).

Rosita (Rosi). The leader of the women.

Zorida (Zora).

Sonia (Soni).

Julie. The owner and director of ETCA.



And of coarse, we had to photograph the boys, too.



I had the women finish a handful of bags for me to take to the states and sell on Etsy! I really think they have a good cahnce at success on Etsy.

Emily and I spent the later part of the afternoon labeling books.

I wrote the labels...

and Emily taped on the labels.

We probably have about 100 books left to label!

Stopping for a coffee break on Julie's porch.

It's been a quiet, peaceful morning. I took the time to clean up our place before we came over to Julie's. Now I continue the peaceful morning with a hot cup of coffee, periodically galncing at a lovely vase overflowing with firey red flower cut from a nearby tree...

Day 20 - El Transito, Nicaragua - Sunday- 06.26.11
We had a busy day of getting the library ready for opening day, which is tomorrow!! We shelved all of the books last night and finished painting!

I LOVE the green!!

And now for this weeks adventure...

The man who owns the house we are living in came by yesterday to check up on things. After he finished, he offered to take the 4 of us out to dinner at his favorite fish restaurant that was "very close by, just up the highway." I should have known that what he actually meant was that this restaurant was still in Nicaragua.

We hopped into the back of his truck, the part where he piles his goods to sell, the part with no seats, and off we went. The ride was bumpy, to say the very least, and HOT. About 4 km into our trek, a family of 7 climbed into the back with us, which added to the hilarity of our situation. We were grasping anything closeby to keep from toppling over like dominoes. Another 7 km down, the family hopped out and we traveled on. Another 3 km in and we were stopped in front of a tiny red truck and it was POURING down rain. Apparently the five of us were supposed to squeeze into the cab of this tiny red truck because his agriculture truck had to go back to where ever it was going... So, we piled in. Emily and Scott squeezed into the space behind the front seats, Javier drove, Eric sat in Javier's lap (practically), and I took the window seat. My face became one with the window, we were packed in so tight. About another 2 km in, we felt a little jerk in the truck, followed by a strange wobble... Javier quickly pulled over.

Flat tire? I wish. We got out of the truck, in the monsoon, to find the tire, hub cap, bolts, and the rotor about 20 feet from the truck. Yes. The ENTIRE wheel to rolled off! Just fell right off of the truck!

So, there we are, 4 gringos who speak little to no Spanish and a Nicaraguan who speaks no English, drenched through, looking for tire parts burried in a muddy dirt road, in the pouring rain. We ended up finding 3 of the bolts, which it turns out that is how many there were holding the tire on in the first place. Ah.... so THAT's why the tire just popped off and rolled away...

After 20 minutes or so, another one of his agriculture trucks pulled up to save us. We climbed into the back, wet and slightly annoyed, and traveled antoher 20 km to the restaurant. Let's add those up, shall we?.... 36 km total from our beach house to the restaurant. "Very close" indeed. I will say, though, that the fish was incredible! Well worth our memorable trek. The fish was complete with head attached, eyes intact, and teeth displayed....

oh, the joys of traveling....

With mud on my shoes,


No comments: