Saturday, September 10, 2011

Curried Gnocchi


Some days, you just don't want to go to the grocery store. And by "some" days, for me, it's most days. Which is crazy, because I LOVE to bake, like to cook, but I am just rarely in the mood to find a parking space at our local HEB and run over people toes with my shopping cart fight the crowds for an 8 oz. block of cream cheese. You know?

Well tonight, my friends, THIS girl did NOT have to go to the grocery store. AND, with the help of my hubby, we had a very tasty dinner with things found in our refrigerator and pantry. Double high-five!

Gnocchi is one of those delicacies that I thought a) would take forever to make and b) would be too difficult. Well, wrong, and... wrong.


The ingredient list for gnocchi is a mere 4 items that you will definitely have lying around:

2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 egg


I found my recipe (as posted on my Pinterest) from this guest post over at WhipUp, and I did not change a thing; hop over to the link above for a detailed description of how to make your gnocchi dough. This, so far, has been the easiest dough for me to handle confidently.

Scott's Curry Sauce

what you need:
1 pound ground pork
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
juice of 2 limes
8 ounces plain yogurt or sour cream (we used sour cream because, remember, we did not go to the grocery store and sour cream is what was in the fridge!)
salt to taste


what to do:
Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the pork
Remove pork and drain the drippings
Add more oil to the pan and bring back to heat
Toss in onion and saute until clear, then add the garlic, stirring for 1 minute
Add spices to the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 more minutes
Add tomato paste and lime juice, stirring to incorporate with spice and onion mixture
Add the sour cream and cooked pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through; add salt to taste
Toss in cooked gnocchi and stir to coat pasta in curry sauce
Serve in a bowl, with mint to garnish!

Dreaming of India... and Italy,

HK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great and seems easy. I really enjoy reading your recipes-- hope to try some soon!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh. I googled "gnocchi and curry" because we didn't want to shopping either! Dinner's on, with just a little less risk than before. High 10.