Thursday, September 29, 2011

Yarn Wreath for Fall

I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally got HOOKED on discovered Pinterest.  Then I immediately called my mom and got her even MORE hooked on to check out Pinterest. What I love about Pinterest is that my 3" binder with a dozen tab dividers and magazine cutouts bulging out the sides is now conveniently located online. I can access it anywhere. I can add to it at any time without worrying about running out of page protectors. Win-win, folks. Win-win.

Well, I was recently inspired from various images on Pinterest to decorate our apartment for fall. I wanted the decorations to be subtle, simple, clean, modern-ish, and not too country/kitsch. And this is what I made...



What you need:
styrofoam circle
LOTS of yarn (I wish I knew exact yards, but I would buy at least one large skein.)
fabric scraps
hot glue gun/glue sticks
ribbon scraps


What to do:
Wrap the end of your yarn ball around the styrofoam circle and knot it off.
Looping the yarn ball through and around the circle, wrap the yarn tightly all around the styrofoam, creating multiple layers, so as to hide the styrofoam sufficiently (I will admit that this took about 2 hours for me to do... I used VERY thin yarn... I would advice you to use thicker weighted yarn to save time.)
Hot glue some fabric scraps and fabric rosettes on the wreath in an arrangement of your choosing.
Cut a length of ribbon, thread it through the top of your wreath and knot it.
Hang above your mantel, on your front door, on your bedroom door... really wherever you like!
*NOTE* Fabric rosettes are SUPER easy to make. Here is a tutorial.

Here is my wreath incorporated into our living room fall decor...



I think it meets my requirements :)


Styrofoam crumbs in my lap,

HK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you say you are not patient =) Turned out great...love!
Mom