Sunday, September 4, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Smoothie


Hang with me on this one, friends.

Spinach? In a smoothie?

When I was first asked if I wanted a sip of a spinach-banana smoothie, my first question was: will I be able to taste the spinach in my smoothie? I got my answer right away: No. You can't! Which was great news to me because spinach is one of those almost-super-foods. It's a great source of iron, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and potassium! It's great on sandwiches, as a salad, and, apparently, in smoothies.

I didn't have any bananas on hand tonight, but I did have frozen strawberries. I like spinach-strawberry salad so much that I thought, "hey, why not try it in smoothie-version...?"

The results are delicious! Like when combined with bananas, you still cannot taste the spinach when combined with strawberries.

The color of this smoothie can be interpreted one of two ways: festive, or baby puke. Go the festive route and you might see Christmas, holiday, cheer! Go baby puke route and, well, you might see baby puke and not want to drink this, despite it's delicious flavor and fantastic health benefits. I'll let you make the call. But I suggest "festive".


What you need (for 1 serving):
4 oz. orange juice
4 oz. plain, whole yogurt
large handful of frozen strawberries
large handful of spinach
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

What to do:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and spin away until smooth!
Add a fresh strawberry on top for added appeal and cuteness.

Spinach in my teeth,


HK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may of actually convinced me to try this! Who would of thought...spinach in a smoothie! I vote festive =)
Mom